HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT KICKS OFF “CURIOUS WORLD” SUMMER TOUR, INSPIRING PLAYFUL LEARNING NATIONWIDE
From story time to space ships, young explorers are invited to join Curious George and friends for immersive learning experiences in local communities.
This summer, HMH will take Curious World Tour on a nationwide adventure, popping up inAustin, Texas on July 6, 2016 at the Texas State Capitol and July 7, 2016 (location to be announced).
Kicking off at Brooklyn Bridge Park on Sunday, June 26, HMH will take Curious World Tour on a nationwide adventure, popping up in eight cities in Texas and California – San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, San Diego, Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles – throughout the summer.
In each market, HMH will work with local nonprofit organizations to donate books and resources while engaging families with kids nationwide. Curious World Tour was created in partnership with the Association of Children’s Museums (ACM), lending expertise in out-of-school and summer learning, and the Ultimate Block Party. bringing deep experience in community-based playful learning experiences rooted in science and pedagogy.
“We know that children are born learning and that play and exploration are essential for healthy growth and development. Our goal with Curious World Tour is to bring unique, fun early learning experiences directly to children and families in their communities,” said Linda K. Zecher, President, CEO & Director of HMH. “HMH’s mission is to change lives by fostering passionate, curious learners, and our summer road trip is designed to engage, inspire, and remind us all that learning takes place everywhere.”
Curious World Tour will hit the road in a rugged, colorful vehicle that unfolds to create a mobile playful learning environment for children and families. Explorers of all ages are invited on a personal journey with beloved HMH characters like Curious George – who celebrates his 75th birthday this year – that will inspire them to ask questions, open their minds, and take a hands-on approach to the world around them through interactive, multi-disciplinary educational activities, including:
● Curious World HQ: The welcome truck with a giant map featuring videos of children saying “hello” in multiple languages, where adventure leaders will give children the opportunity to plan and document their Curious World Tour journey with a Curiosity Log.
● Story Camp: A tented library featuring HMH characters and award-winning stories – like Curious George, Gossie and Gertie, and the Five Little Monkeys – inviting kids to relax on tree-trunk stools and open up their imagination for story time.
● Community Garden: An outdoor space for kids to engage in various food-learning exercises, such as planting their own seeds in a decorated pot that they can take home to water and watch grow.
● Space Station: An extraterrestrial area expanding kids’ minds, encouraging them to think beyond planet Earth with the opportunity to make alien puppets, build space shuttles and learn about constellations in rocket ship light brites.
● Jungle Jamboree: A play area with an open stage featuring special appearances by Curious George and others, where kids will learn about sound, rhythm and tunes on an interactive music wall.
● #SparkAMind Color the World: A collaborative mural to help kids express their artistic side and learn about team work as they color in their favorite HMH characters alongside a local artist. Murals will be donated to education institutions and organizations that serve children and families in each local community.
“We are proud to partner with HMH and share the expertise of children’s museums in creating substantive and fun learning opportunities for families with young children,” said Laura Huerta Migus, executive director of the Association of Children’s Museums. “Curious World Tour is not only bringing HMH’s quality resources for families across the country, but is also making a great statement on the importance of play as the foundation of lifelong learning.”
In each station, young learners will be able to experience for themselves the power of playful learning inside HMH’s new interactive content service, the Curious World App.
This ever-growing library of learning videos, books and games for children ages 2-7, as well as inspiration for offline activities and tools for parents to be involved in their child’s learning journey.
Learn more about Curious World Tour here.